18 de agosto de 2008

SUPA G GETS READY FOR THE SEPTEMBER CELEBRATIONS


The September celebrations are just around the corner, and you will know this from the musical explosion that is coming our way... On Tuesday, Reckless stopped by the studio with his latest offering and tonight, Supa G is back in Belize from a successful tour in Chicago to promote his new CD before heading out for Belize Day at the UWI Campos in Barbados.

Jose Sanchez, Reporting
Lensford Martinez was born in Georgetown in the Stann Creek district and grew up in Corozal Town. But while you may not recognize that name you absolutely know Supa G. In his career, he has made dour albums with Punta Rebels and seven solo albums. His popularity has grown so much that the airwaves have become saturated with his jingles. One of his most popular songs, Lay the Pipe, is also one of the most controversial because of the racial male stereotyping.

Lensford “Supa G” Martinez, Musician
“It is a lady that I met, that’s what she told me and I just decided to put it in a song. So it wasn’t just from Supa G, that is from a woman’s point of view. It was a controversial song because even in the U.S., a lot of people approach me, Hispanic people, and say how come dah only we wah build di house and dehn only di black man wah do di plumbing. And I tell dehn if yoh listen to di entire song then yoh wah si dat both di Spanish person and di black person does di plumbing. But to me it’s just a song about having fun.”

This week Supa has released a new album called Di Scandal.

Lensford “Supa G” Martinez
“With this album it has more positive music; meaning it has more songs that is talking about reality. It is talking about changes that we need to make to make things better in this community. I have tracks like Fuego that is talking about too much gun violence in the city and the country.”

Supa’s style has changed. His lyrics aren’t about sexual intimacy, but are more formed to inspire listeners to dialogue about many of society’s ills.

Lensford “Supa G” Martinez
“So I’m more conscious, I’ve matured. And my music also has matured with me turning to that positivity. One of the most famous bad thing happening in our society with a lot of men molesting the young ones. And I believe it is really, really wrong and it is terrible and it is wrong. Kids are not supposed to be hurt any at all; we are supposed to protect the young ones. For men to be doing that I think they are really getting out of hand. So I wanted to touch that topic and write a song about that also.”

“And also about things going up, everything the cost of living going up. We can’t buy rice fi mek we bubble up now. You know things getting really hard. “Pressure”.”

While there is a notable difference in lyrics, Supa is struggling between making sexual songs that sell versus lending a social consciousness to music.

Lensford “Supa G” Martinez
“The songs that bring money to me are the songs that people would say don’t make much sense, are the songs that get more airtime in the clubs; songs that people want to party with. I get phone calls because of which song? Bwai, because of Lay the Pipe. I get tons of phone calls. Now what should I do as an artist? Concentrate on more of that type of music because that’s the music that brings in the money? But then I want to show a different light. I want to change the game and hope it works.”

And conscious lyrics should bring success because Supa G’s first musical inspiration was Andy Palacio. And Andy’s music transitioned from Punta to planetary. Di Scandal is now available in music stores. Reporting for News Five, Jose Sanchez.

Supa G will be performing in a concert this Thursday night at the Princess Royal Park in Dangriga to promote the album.

No hay comentarios: