2. Place the strips in cold water. Stir around and drain off the starchy water. Fill bowl with water again. Let the potatoes sit for at least 30 minutes.
3. Drain the potatoes and dry completely.
4. Heat the oil to 300 degrees and blanch the potatoes in batches, they should not be brown at this point. Drain potatoes on paper towel.
5. Raise the heat of the oil to 400 degrees and fry the potatoes again, this time for about 3 minutes, until very crispy, place on a paper towel to dry. Sprinkle with salt. You may keep hot in a 300 degree oven.
1. Cut the fish into strips.
2. Mix 1 cup of flour with the onion powder, and some salt and pepper.
3. Mix the other cup of flour with salt and pepper and the beer. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven
4. Dip the fish into the dry flour first and coat.
5. Then dip into the beer batter and coat completely.
6. Fry the fish in the oil, dipping the fish first and then completely submerging.
7. When golden on one side, flip over. It should take about 2 minutes per side.
Corozal Town, and Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico, Belize
Founder and President of SUPERMAMA - an organization for pregnant adolescence and single mothers. Owner of PrehiSPAnic cocoon - a massage and health spa in Corozal Town, Belize and Chetumal, Mexico and owner of B LIFE health beverages.