2 cups white whole wheat flour 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup brown sugar 3 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled 1/4 cup honey 1 large egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 1/2 cups diced peaches, skin removed
For the Oat Streusel Topping: 1 1/4 cups old fashioned oats 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks 1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners or coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, honey, egg, and vanilla. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until flour disappears. Gently fold in the peaches.
4. In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Mix topping together with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture. Stir in the honey and mix until combined.
5. Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with oat streusel topping. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Corozal Town, and Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico, Belize
Founder and President of SUPERMAMA - an organization for pregnant adolescence and single mothers. Owner of PrehiSPAnic cocoon - a massage and health spa in Corozal Town, Belize and Chetumal, Mexico and owner of B LIFE health beverages.