Wheat and Flax Bread
- cup milk
- cup water
- tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 3/4
- to 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- teaspoon salt
- package regular active or fast-acting dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- tablespoons honey
- cup Gold Medal™ whole wheat flour
- cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- cup ground flaxseed
- Additional butter or margarine, melted, if desired
- 1 In 1-quart saucepan, heat milk, water and 1 tablespoon softened butter over medium heat to 120°F to 130°F (butter will not melt). In large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour, the salt and yeast. Add milk mixture and honey. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in whole wheat flour, oats, flaxseed and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make dough easy to handle.
- 2 On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and springy. Grease medium bowl with shortening or cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double in size. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
- 3 Grease bottom and sides of 8x4-inch loaf pan with shortening or cooking spray. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12x8-inch rectangle. Roll up rectangle tightly, beginning at 8-inch side. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal. Pinch each end of roll to seal; fold ends under loaf. Place seam side down in pan. Cover and let rise in warm place 45 to 60 minutes or until double in size.
- 4 Heat oven to 375°F. Uncover loaf. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Brush top of loaf with melted butter. Cool completely, about 2 hours.