Honey Kissed Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and pat dry
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- oil for frying
- 2 kaiser rolls
- About 2 teaspoons honey
- tomato slices
- lettuce leaves
- sliced red onion
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag.Pound with the flat side of meat mallet until flattened to 1/4 inch thick (a rolling pin would work too).
- In a bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, 1 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt and Tabasco. Place chicken breasts in the bowl, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- After marinating the chicken, place flour, baking powder and 1 tablespoon of seasoning salt in a resealable plastic bag. Remove chicken from marinade and transfer to flour. Shake to coat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1/ 2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, sprinkle a little flour over it. If it sizzles its ready. Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Toast kaiser rolls. Spread mayonnaise on roll. Place chicken breast on bottom half of roll, drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey over each chicken breast. Add tomato, lettuce, onion and top half of roll.
As I learned, if you happen to be eating this with anyone else at the table, hang on to your sandwich or it just might disappear. Enjoy!